Search My Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My new favorite meal.

Welcome to my recipe blog, I've been thinking of doing this for several months and after some encouragement and curiosity here we go. I often share recipes on facebook, but this will be another place for them.

Spiced Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese from 30 minutes or less – Spicy Foods
30 minutes to the table, serves 4

Ingredients:
½ Tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 red onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise or a pinch or normal anise
3 green cardamom pods, gently crushed or ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 small piece fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
1 cup Puy Lentils (green or brown lentils)
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
4 firm goat cheeses 3 ½ oz/100 g each
1-2 tomatoes, cut into strips
2 Tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves only
Salt and pepper

Method:
Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ¾ of the onions, and the garlic, chile, spices and gingerroot, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
Add the lentils and stir to coat in the onion mixture, then add the stock, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-25 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender. Remove the cinnamon stick, star anise, and cardamom pods. Let the lentils cool slightly so that they are warm rather than hot.
Meanwhile, preheat the broiler to high. Line the broiler pan with foil and brush with a little oil. Put the cheeses in the broiler pan and cook under the preheated broiler, or until bubbling and brown.
Divide the lentils between 4 individual plates, then scatter over the remaining onion and top with tomatoes. Carefully lift the cheeses from the broiler pan and arrange on top of the lentils. Scatter over the pine nuts and the cilantro and serve immediately.

Robert and I used the local medium salt goat cheese that is a medium firmness. I practically "yummed" over every bite. It outweighs most things I have eaten, but there are several close competitors which are soon to come.

1 comment:

  1. A blog! I'm impressed, and I'll be subscribing. These recipes look delicious, and decidedly Middle Eastern with an American foundation. I bet I have to go further from my house than you do to get the ingredients. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete